Giving gifts for birthdays, holidays, or just because is normally a fun occasion for all participants. Those receiving a present get a fun, thoughtful item or experience, and those giving it are excited that it will make the receiver happy.
At least in theory, that is supposed to be how gift giving works. Sometimes though, there are hiccups. So how do you avoid these possible pitfalls? Read on to discover valuable answers to some of the most commonly-asked questions about gift giving.
How Do I Manage My Gift-Giving Budget?
A common question can be how much you should spend on a gift for someone. Surely budgeting for a birthday gift for a close friend is much different than getting something for a white elephant exchange.
A few ways to gauge how much you should budget for an upcoming occasion include the following:
- Plan in Advance - Make a list at the beginning of the year for all events that you know about (birthdays, holidays, etc.) and determine what you can or can’t spend.
- Communicate with Others - If you are thinking of skipping a yearly gift exchange with a friend, talk to them how they feel about it. It’s much better to talk about it now then have an awkward conversation later after the gifting is over.
- Do They Really Want a Gift? - One of the best questions to ask yourself is if the person in question really wants a gift. Knowing they may appreciate your company or a card may help you budget more accurately.
Keeping these and any other important factors, such as how many family members and friends you plan on buying for, can help you choose a good gift even on a budget.
Need a thoughtful gift that won’t break the bank?
Is It Okay to Give a Gift Late?
The short answer is yes, depending on the circumstances it is perfectly acceptable to give a gift late. Sometimes the following can happen:
- You just learned of the gifting occasion (birthday, new family member, life event) but some time has passed since it occurred
- An unexpected life event happened to you or the recipient
- The gift gets lost in the mail
As long as you send a note with the gift expressing your apologies, it is acceptable to give a gift late. Remember, it’s the thought that counts!
When Is a Host or Hostess Gift Appropriate?
Typically, getting a gift when visiting someone’s home is a polite gesture. The question is should you get a gift for every visit, or only for certain occasions?
A good rule of thumb is that…
- If you are just there for a quick visit, there is no need for a gift.
- If you are visiting for a meal or staying for an extended period of time, you will want to give them a host or hostess gift for their hospitality.
If you’re looking for a host or hostess gift, presents like gift baskets are always useful for entertaining, or for a special treat of their own.
How Do I Get A Gift for Someone I Don’t Know Well?
Let’s say you’ve been invited to your friend’s partner’s birthday party, and you need to bring a gift. The problem is that you’ve only met this person a couple of times. How do you choose a gift for someone you don’t know well?
There are a few ways to come up with ideas for a gift:
- Ask someone that knows them what they like (in this case, your friend).
- Check their social media pages to see what their interests are.
- Try to remember if they mentioned anything specific in their past conversations with you, such as hobbies or interests - chances are, they’ve mentioned a detail or two that you could base a gift on.
Above all, as long as you are thoughtful and mindful of any allergies or restrictions the person may have, your gift will be greatly appreciated.
Do I Need to Include a Card?
While you are not required to get a card, it is a good idea to include one with your gift. Not only does it let the recipient know who gave them the gift, but it also gives you the opportunity to include a thoughtful message.
If you are purchasing a gift online to ship directly to your recipient, always include a gift message so they know who it is from. Tate’s Bake Shop customers can add a short but sweet message to include with their gift.
If All Else Fails?
If you still are stumped on what to get someone, our gift baskets, treats, and more make great gifts for anyone on your list, whether it be for a birthday gift, a housewarming present, or just because.